Thursday, October 23, 2008

NaNoWriMo 2008

As you can see to the left of your screen I've added a new item. It's a NaNoWriMo gadget and on Nov 1st (if I've done the HTML correctly) it will start counting the words in my novel. Yes, I'm trying again, I'm embarking on the insanity one more time, I'm chasing the dream, I'm running down a plot and some characters and bringing them to life on the page. As some of you know this is not my first novel. This is actually my third. I don't want to talk about the other two so don't bring them up. I do want to talk about this one. I won't tell you the plot, or the setting, or the characters, or really any details at all because I'm trying to keep them packed in my brain right now where I think they might percolate into something real. The working title for the sake of NaNoWriMo is Feli's Cairns which I already believe is no longer the correct title but we'll let that detail go.

So what is NaNoWriMo? Well, November is National Novel writing month and there are some really crazy folks who put together this sort of support group/website/get famous deal where they ask anyone and everyone to join them in writing a novel in the month of November. They define a novel as 50,000 loosely connected words. So this year I'm taking the challenge. I'm going to write 50,000 words of Feli's Cairns this November.

Here's where you come in. I need some encouragement. I need people to ask me how the word count is going. Not how the plot is coming along or how the characters are shaping up but how the word count is going because the object of this exercise is to get words on the page no matter how crappy they are. Cramming 50,000 words into my already jam packed life is going to be hard, it's going to be near impossible but I really really want to do this so I'm gearing up. Tonight while Ana was in gymnastics for 1 hour and 15 min I hit 1465 words. If I can hit around 1600 words a day for the entire month of November I can reach my goal.

So please, if you love me at all, you'll ask me every frigging day of November - did you hit 1600 today?

Much love,
Amy

No comments: