Wednesday, January 10, 2007

after ten at night

This morning the book encourages that we write letters. I like the quote by Thomas Hardy – Nine-tenths of the letters in which people speak unreservedly of their inmost feeling are written after ten at night. I could post here many many letters that I’ve written for I do love to write a letter. There are a few where I’ve actually touched on something, where I have been able to write a letter that provokes more than a perfunctory response. Not always, and never more than preaching to the choir, but yet saying something in a way that isn’t perhaps so typical. So there are writers who write letters every day before they set to work. How interesting. I would say that I love to write letters and I love to get them. The good ones, those that are written after ten at night, are best. But I can count those on one hand. Shore up Amy, it is better to give than to receive. And yet I like receiving too.

It’s been a bad week, one of the worst in recent memory, I think I’m climbing out of it but it has me worried. I’m not sure what else to say about that. It’s made me think that it might be time to do something more. To put more safeguards in place, to have another place to go to if it starts to crumble that bad again. More thinking is needed on that because I’m not sure what the safeguard should be.

No comments: