Saturday, October 09, 2010

ONEbyONE



John Lennon would have been 70 today.
You may say I’m a dreamer…

I tell my kids that I’m a pacifist.
I tell my kids that violence is never the answer.

But I know that I’m not in the majority in this world.
And I’m really lucky to live where I do, that I get to enjoy the very idea of pacifism.

I participated in the Grace Race this morning. I plunked down my money and walked around Sloan’s Lake, somewhere behind Ana who ran with a bunch of other folks mostly for the fun of it. We raised money for World Hunger, part of the ELCA’s One campaign, which in turn is part of the larger One campaign that you can read about at One.org

Or watch this cool video

All of which feels quite surreal.

Before the race Ana and I shared a peanut butter and jelly sandwich – Oroweat Bread, Adam’s natural peanut butter, and smucker’s reduced sugar jelly. We filled our PBA free water bottles with ice from the ice maker in the freezer and water from the filtered refrigerated water built into the refrigerator. We hopped into our Red Honda Odyssey, drove across town decked out in our high tech exercise gear, took a picture on the camera phone and then traversed the 5 kilometers around the lake. We were greeted at the end with bagels, bananas, oranges, and cookies. Ana had four chocolate chip. I had a banana. After the race we went to the Starbucks so Ana could have a Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino. Then we went home.

I’m pretty sure we don’t get the hunger thing.

No comments: