Friday, September 07, 2007

School involvement and me

I'm the kind of person that can't say no. I've known this about myself for a long time and at times I have worked hard to shore up my lack in this area to little avail. The problem is that even if I manage to say "no" the first time I may not have the will to say it again the next time. And it's not like I agree to do things I hate to do, it's just that everything looks good. It's a little like being at the dessert table of a buffet. How could I go wrong here? Only by choosing too much. And that's me.

I marvel at the parents who can manage to drop their children off at school and not get out of the car. Who can toot the horn at the end of the day to summon the children and go on their merry way. I'm not saying I want to be them but I'm wondering how that happens.

Me, I go in the door because I want to ask the 5th grade teacher why we are teaching my child how to spell "millennium" when he writes sentences like this one. "Than I wud be abl two eet al the cak." (Then I would be able to eat all the cake.) Once I'm inside it starts. I wonder if the solar panels on the roof are working and if the kids could learn about solar energy. (No, the panels aren't working, the system was decommissioned in 1986.) What happened to the after school science class we had last year? (The teacher who was coordinating it moved away.) I ask these questions and then I find myself researching revamping the solar panels and coordinating an after school science class.

When did I say yes? I don't remember but I think it has to do with getting out of the car.

Wanna build a school where the parents are involved?
Get them out of the car, the rest should take care of itself.

Amy

No comments: